Tuesday 21 October 2008

543 WW days & 74 FF days - Can you change habits of half a life time?

Changing my ways

Can you change the habits of half a life time? Yes, you can. But DON'T expect them to change fast. It takes months.........years. At the end of my first six months and 40 kg/88.1 lbs less in weight, I thought had it licked. "THEY" say it takes 6 months so. I made it there. YES! But I am now one year on and before three months had passed I gained near 11 kg/24 lbs, and am still fighting to get it off. A holifay, and christmas, new year really kicked me in the face. I thought I knew the trick? WRONG!

For a while I viewed it as failing, major failing. From defeat, to desillusion, to disappointment to acceptance, to determination, to a feeling that I can continue where I am without having to look back to last year october, to the realisation that despite the weight gain I had lost more than triple the weight AND could do it.AGAIN, or STILL.

My focus is now on the holiday season, making sure I tackle them with a confident feeling that I will not gain weight again. My aim is still to weigh less than 130 kg/286.6 lbs on january 1, 2009. That is 7 kg/15.4 lbs to go in 9 weeks. A though challenge but with my gym visits continued I know I can make it.

I notice I do not wwcount points anymore. I play by ear, and though I know it is a dangeous thing to do, and for a WW girl a deadly sin, I am doing well. I know the points of most food items, and when I look at the calorie and fat content I can guess pretty accurate how many points it is. The recipe for a point free life? Time fore most, a sense of foodcontent by now ingrained, I also use all kinds of tools given to me by friend, mentors, WW and the internet. So summing it up.... let me think..

1. Buy light, sugarless, low in fat, or fatless products, when possible biological as well.
2. Eat sweets, snack sensibly, restrict them to small portions, and usually only when I just excercised. When I have chosolate it is dark real dark, and a small bar.
3. Go to the gym 4 times a week, 700 kcal a session.
4. Always have breakfast ALWAYS, if I am up late on sunday, make it brunch, big brunch
5. Balance out lunch and dinner. So one big lunch or dinner cancels out the other one and have a small bite to eat instead.
6. When I want something sweet, I eat fruit.
7. When I am really hungry in between I have biological 0% fat curd with honey. TO DIE FOR!
8. Sinning is no sin, but a treat! No more than twice a week though.
9. drink water
10. Spend time outdoors no matter how the weather is!
11. Spend time with friends, do not lock myself indoors and "hang" around
12 Cycle do not use public transport or a car

I find I do not like real fat food any more. But go for more pure tastes, even pure tastes in vegetables. I have eaten cabbage, pure, without sauce, again. And it was good. Cauliflower without white sauce, and it was good! The past year and a half have been a revelation, an exploration into me.....a most enjoyable journey with ups and downs, but very enjoyable!

I extremely seldom have McDonalds or other snackfood, but for instance go one door down and have Italian pasta, brown biologocal and ask them to go easy on the oil. In geeneral I have grown much more picky about my food, and the way it is prepared, so in restaurants I state my preferences loud and clear. I do not feel forced to all which is on my plate, and WILL ask for a doggybag, which in my country is not always a given.

I just checked my blog or last year. Know what. I weighed exactly the same! -grins- How does that affect me. Is it a year lost? NO, it is proof that overall I did not gain weight in a year's time. Pretty good. But I still have not stopped. the best is yet to come!!!

15 comments:

Brad Clements said...

Hang in there and continute to FIGHT. You've got the right mentality to continue to make it happen. I had a loss of over 100lbs and gained 30 plus back but am back on track. We can do it, October is turning out to be a great month.

Sayre said...

Well, it sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders, Willow. As long as you actually use it, you should be okay.

You know, your weight may be the same as last year, but your attitude is so different! You are confident in your self, your ability, and your body. And some of that weight is muscle now, whereas last year it was just fat. That all makes a huge difference. I think when you look back this time next year, you will be very pleased with where you are, while knowing all along that you would get there!

"The Captain" said...

Hey I gained weight this year. We are both going to make it!!!
Jeff

Kim Ayres said...

Nearly 4 years since I started and I still get caught out. This past week I've gained 3lbs and feel like I've got to go through the starting process again. However, at least I know from experience it gets easier once I'm on track for a few weeks

ArleneWKW said...

You're in a tough spot right now. Me too, only I let the regain go on and on and on until I ended up weighing significantly more than what I started with. I'm still having trouble turning it around. Hopefully both of us will succeed. I find reading the blogs of others, whether they are currently succeeding or not doing so well, to be very motivating. We just have to keep on fighting our gluttonous selves without regard to how well or poorly we've been doing.

ArleneWKW said...

Gosh, I thought I'd left a long comment here. I wonder what happened. In any case, my current strategy is to think about what I'd like to weight, or what I would weigh with my CURRENT (this minute!!) behavior, one year from now instead of what I weighed 5 years 4 1/2 months ago when I was at goal weight, 75 lbs less than now. Ouch, I had to count the lbs. out again. I hadn't realized I'd regained quite so much.

Moby Dick said...

How do I become your follower? Does that guarantee anything?

Moby Dick said...

I hope you are doing fine!

Moby Dick said...

Hope you are fine!

"The Captain" said...

Have a great weekend!!!
Jeff

Sayre said...

Hey, Willow - it's been a while, where are you? How is life treating you? Are you finding some success or are you stuck? Halloween sort of got me in a downward spiral, but I've yanked myself out of it, finally. Now I just have to start again from here!

Nona said...

Yes, change does take persistence and time. I don't know whether to smile or weep at that thought.

dutchmarbel said...

Are you surviving the wintertemptations?

Nona said...

Happy New Year Willow!!!

Brad Clements said...

HEY, WHERE have you gone.... It's time to get back in the saddle...

Twitter me!

    follow me on Twitter