Monday 29 October 2007

Day 179 - 21 Charms & 9 Spacers (on Dr. Phil)

-------------------------------------
CLICK HERE to read my Blog in DUTCH
To comment on today's blog CLICK HERE

-------------------------------------

Next Charm 84.9 lbs

Before I start.....

Look at this link. Notice how Dr. Phil and Weight Watchers is in that list? Both of them. Darn, I am in good company!

The only critisism on Weight Watchers: "The program falls short, in my opinion because it doesn't put a priority on exercise, which is essential. After all, I'm a fitness trainer"

Dr. Phil , my tomorrow collection




About a year ago I borrowed Dr. Phils book "The Ultimate Weight solution - The 7 keys to weigh loss freedom" from my best friend Rose in Ireland. I read it partly on the way home, but was really to tired to take it all in. Some things stuck, and most did not. And so I put it aside, being part of my "tomorrow collection"

Then this year I went there again, and while scouting for books to take with me/things to give back, I stumbled on the book again. And as I posted in an earlier post I decided to read it again, and report back on it.

The book mentions 7 keys to weight loss freedom:

  1. Right thinking
  2. Healing feelings
  3. A no-fail environment
  4. Mastery over food and impulse eating
  5. High response Cost, High Yield Nutrition
  6. Intentional excercise
  7. Your circle of support

So far I have (re) read the chapters 5, 6, and 7 again.

Patting myself on the back

Why did I start at 5? Well because I had not read this chapter yet and wanted to understand what he meant. HRC/HYN food plan focuses on choosing foods that produce and reinforce lasting wait loss and controll. It is not focused on metabolism and exclucing certain food groups because they are fattening. And in that way it is much like Weight Watchers, the program I use. The points programme allows you to eat everything you wish, keeping within healthy guidelines.

He states that exclucing food items to set up a well balanced diet works fine for a few week, even a few months, but when maintanance is required and you go back to old food habit, FINALLY being able to eat the stuff you have been doing without for so long, things go horribly wrong.
This means the solution is to never eat the much desired food items EVER!

Be honest with yourself; can you do without chocolate all your life, without cheese, without candy and cookies, without a lovely piece of bacon or even pork rind? I can't, and I have accepted that. So now it is amatter of setting up a well balanced diet that does allow for these lovelies.

Additionally, I did the food assessment test, and I scored very very good. See, I AM FANTASTIC!

Swift kick in the butt, and HARD

Then I moved to 6, on excercise. Again I did the test there, and well...let's put it mildly. I flunked, major, big, COMPLETELY. I swallowed my pride and even went back, redoing the test again and being really completely truthful. And know what, it got worse! Excerciose wise I am sub standard material *grins*

And so I dived into his words with gusto. Because, if I can change my outlook on food and my intake of it, as I have done in the past 6 months now, I CAN change my outlook on excercise. To be honest, I just do NOT like it. And don't understand what people like about it!

Baby steps, getting active

Phil talks about commitment and intentional excercise. And what he means is this; when I get up in the morning do I just skip getting dressed and go to work in my pj's? No! Do I walk out of the house without shoes and make up? Heck no!

Then why do I leave without having exercised? huh, huh, huh? Because I am lazy and don't like it. He explains that liking to do excercise is something your body learns as you go. From discomfort -painful feet, painful knees, red patches where your innner thighs rub against each other-, fortunately I am past that stage, it grows into enjoying the endorphins that are pumped into the bloodstream, and it feels good, powerfull and healthy. The body starts to actually NEEDING, craving the rush.

Phil states that excercise is an appointment with yourself. We do not skip appointments with doctors, dentists, hair dressers and the mortgage person. In the same way I should not skip my excercise date with ME.

Calender technique

He explains that excercise appointments need to be pencilled in like any other activity in my diary. And so I have! From now every other day at about 6 AM, just after I wake up, I will jump into my training clothes (which are all ready and waiting), and rush out, and walk for half an hour. Then when I come back I start my usual morning routine

Willowishestowalk!

*Looks at the clock* Time to get going! Tomorrow I will ramble on some more. BUT between Dr. Phil on excercise and WeightWatchers on food I seem to have found a winning team!

*******************************************

Breakfast

6,0 points
-------------------------------------
2,0 p - 2 rye bread
0,5 p - 10 gr. linera
2, 0 p - 4 slices of lean sandwich meat (various)
1, 5 p - 3 dl. optimel drinking yoghurt
0,0 p - 2 apples
1 mug of tea
2 water

Lunch
8,0 points
-------------------------------------
4,0 p - 6 tbs oats
2,0 p - 2 dl semi skimmed milk
2,0 p - 2 cs honey
0,0 p - 2 apples
2 water

Diner
4,5 points
-------------------------------------
4,5 p - 100 gr. risotto
0,0 p - mushrooms, seaweed and sugar snaps
1, 0 p - 1 tbs olive oil
1,0 p - 100 gr. river lobster
2 water

Diversen
1,5 points
-------------------------------------
0,5 p - 1 cs coffeemilk
1,0 p - 1 chewing gum
2 water

*********************************************************************************

Day maximum: 28,0 points
7 water/tea (11:00 PM), 3 vegetable, 3 fruit, 1 fat, 2 calcium
1. Total bonuspoints used/saved: 20,0/4,0
2. Bonuspoints needed/saved: 6,0/7,0
Exercise total: 1207 minutes/30 minutes walking (next spacer 1220 minutes)

***SUMMARY: water OK, Too litle points; Points needed 0,0; Extra excercise: 30 mins - 3,0 p ***

2 comments:

Nona said...

Your review was interesting. I shall have to read Dr. Phil.

I can live without a lot of things but I can't live without chocolate/sugary foods. Can't!!!
This month I am reincorporating treats. Looking forward to that!!!

I felt the way you did about exercise most of my life. Then I discovered running and I really loved that and maintained 55kgs. for many years by moderate food intake and running 5 days a week for just 1/2 hr.

Then I hurt my knee and had to stop running and put the weight back on over time. I really hate the gym but have discovered tennis recently and LOVE that. Wish I could play all day instead of working. ;)

Good luck with the morning walks. You can do it!!!

Half Man said...

I haven't read Dr. Phil, but I do enjoy exercising. The trick I learned is that for the most part exercising is horrible. It's when you finish that you feel so good about it. Interestingly, it's not when you are doing the exercise that your body benefits, but when you are done, your body starts reaping the rewards of the exercise.

Twitter me!

    follow me on Twitter