Sunday 11 November 2007

Day 193 - 21 Charms & 11 spacers

-------------------------------------
CLICK HERE to read my Blog in DUTCH
To comment on today's blog CLICK HERE

-------------------------------------

Next Charm 84.9 lbs

Such a good weekend! I am in an upbeat mood again, feels good! I walked a total of 1 hour today, and I am starting to thoroughly enjoy it! Had a lovely fish dish today, with lots of fish. My tummy is filled to the brim. Lots of veggies good taste to it. And in general I feel GOOD.

I have looked at the last 6 weeks and realise effectively I have not lost that much, 4 weeks of it was a holiday, and the other two weeks I have been trying to get back into the swing of things. BUT with my new exercise schedule I am back again!

Cosy evenings, romantic nights...oh la la!

I walked to the nearest gas station and rewarded myself. NOT with candy! No with a bag of wood for the fireplace *grins* I had brought a carry all to carry it in and went back on public transport! *smiles proud* Nice reward, and it is not in the value money wise...But I love my fireplace, just did not have any wood for it!

A friend of mine lent me her husband never used trainers, and I just kept them, they are a dream to walk in. I am tempted every time to do some running, but I know that is not wise. With almost 300 lbs (I am now officially less than 300 lbs!) stressing my knee joints in a run, I will injure myself for sure. So for the time being, just walking! But i started with half an hour every other day; I am rearing to go for 30 minutes every day! And it is not a slow pace either!

I really enjoy these very early walks!

Tomorrow I will start 15 minutes earlier and make it a 45 minute walk, and perhaps I will do some walking during my breaktime as well. A leisurely walk through the shopping street, I'll see!

In the days to come I have to make up for my rather elaborate friday, but with some careful planning, I am sure I can!

I found this article on line (http://www.health-emark.com/), don't click it it is riddled with spam. But the article was informative - See below.

Walking for weight loss, the advantage

An often question is whether you should walk longer distances or cover shorter distances faster. Put simply, which is better; faster walking or slow walking.

Each form of walking for weight loss has a small advantage over the other based on their effect on your physiology. You want to get all these advantages over time. The important thing, especially as you begin walking for weight loss, is to remember preference, balance and personalization.

In a hurry to losse weight?

Fast walking has the advantage of involving your cardiovascular system more intensively. You improve heart condition and increase fitness level. This basically means you increase and tone your body muscles. This increase in muscle tissue may not be physically noticeable but has significant physiological impact in terms of calorie expenditure. The more muscle tissue you have the more the energy you use up even as you sleep. These new muscle tissues use quite a bit of energy just to keep alive.

Also, fast weight loss tends to involve more muscle groups as you walk. The advantage here is that more calories are called upon to supply these muscles, resulting to significant calorie use overtime.

Taking your time....

Slow walking on the other hand removes the benefit of momentum created in fast walking. As you walking fast you tend to create momentum that is not driven by exertion but by inertia. Slow walking involves accelerations on and off. Acceleration involves use of energy.

Slow walking has another advantage of increasing endurance for walking and similar activities. Endurance is the ability to keep doing a task before you get tired. High endurance means you can keep doing a task longer.

The inherent advantage is your muscles tone up as well and you do not get tired quickly as your physiology adapts to provide energy and remove lactic acid build up. Longer walking consequently results to more use of calories.

Calorie loss, and making the choice

The literal difference in calorie burnt between fast and slow walking is not really that significant in terms of weight loss, especially in the short term. A difference of 10 calories maybe considered not very significant if you are trying to drop 50 pounds.

The choice for either fast or slow walking mostly has to do with preference as well as the “shock” introduced when you change from one form to another. It is a fact that some people are quite not into exercising for weight loss. Unfortunately for them, it is an essential part of weight loss. The last thing such a person wants is to be introduced to fast walking. However they may not be as resistant to slow walking for some significant length of distance.

Fast walking would probably be more acceptable to the more athletic than running for starters.
However with time, switching between these two modes of walking for weight loss should provide the effect of shock to your body system. Your body tends to adapt itself to your activities to make itself efficient in use of energy.

After walking for sometime you will realize you do not get as tired as you used to when you started. Your muscles and general physiology have adjusted and are in optimal performance for that activity. This is one of the reasons for a platue in your weight loss. Shocking you body systems with a different mode of walking targets different muscles and targets the same muscles differently. This can result to continued increase in calorie expenditure.

******************************************


Brunch
8,0 points
-------------------------------------
2,0 p - 2 dl organic milk (semi skimmed)
4,0 p - 60 gr. Special K
2,0 p - 30 grapes
1 apple
2 tangerines
2 water

Diner
9,0 points
-------------------------------------
4,0 p - 240 gr. fish
0,0 p - 1 egg
0,0 p - onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes
2,0 p - 2 cs olive oil
4,0 p - 4 tbs cornflour
1,0 p - 1 dl organic milk
2 water

Diversen
1,0 points
-------------------------------------
1,0 p - 15 grapes
2 water

********************************************************

Day maximum: 28,0 points
6 water/tea (23:30 PM), 3 vegetable, 2 fruit, 2 fat, 2 calcium
1. Total bonuspoints used/saved: 24,0/4,0
2. Bonuspoints needed/saved: 16,5/7,5
3. Exercise total: 1447 minutes/60 min walking (next spacer 1520 minutes)


***SUMMARY: water OK; Points needed 9,0; Extra excercise: 60 mins***

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Hello Willo,
I'm finally getting up-to-date on my blog reading. And I must say, I love your post! So true that we must mix up our exercise and the muscles we use to keep our body guessing and not plateau.
Your love of exercise is inspiring. Even though it has gotten very cold here, I am about to bundle up to brave the cold and go for a nice walk in the sunshine.

Take care Willo!

Twitter me!

    follow me on Twitter